We are all going to age, that’s just a fact of life, there’s nothing we can do about it, but HOW we age . . . well, there’s a lot we can do about that.
Skincare is an important part of our daily routine. It's not just about looking good, but also about feeling good. The way we take care of our skin when we're young can have a huge impact on how it looks and feels as we age. Many people tend to start taking care of their skin when problems arise or when they notice the early signs of aging. We call this reactive skincare. We say don’t be reactive but rather be proactive! We are a big proponent of proactive skincare; practicing good, clean skincare from a young age. Proactive skincare involves taking steps to prevent damage to your skin, rather than just reacting to it when it becomes a problem. Its great to start at a young age so the habits form early, but it's never too late to begin taking care of your skin in a proactive way!
Proactive skincare involves a combination of a healthy lifestyle, a clean skincare routine, and protection from harmful external factors. Taking care of the skin from an early age helps the skin be the healthiest it can be, so as we age our skin ages in the best way that it possibly can. It's much easier to maintain healthy skin than to try to fix damaged skin.
So what are some of the things you can do to practice proactive skincare? Here are a few tips to consider:
- Wear sunscreen every day, even on cloudy days. This is important. Sun damage is one of the main causes of premature aging, you must protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays. Make sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and reapply it every two hours if you're spending time outside.
- Use gentle, clean products. (We can help here!) Harsh chemicals in skincare products can only damage the skin and strip it of its natural oils. They can also damage the skin’s microbiome which plays a big part in keeping skin healthy and youthful.
- Cleanse and moisturize regularly. (We can help here too!) Keeping skin clean and hydrated can help prevent dryness, flakiness, and other signs of aging. Make sure to use a moisturizing cleanser, one that won’t strip the skin of its natural oils and a clean moisturizer, one that will hydrate deeply and seal moisture in the skin. Practice this routine every morning and night. Cleansing, moisturizing, and also exfoliating regularly help keep skin healthy and glowing.
- Get plenty of rest. I know, much, much easier said than done! Lack of sleep can take a huge toll on the skin. Research shows even power naps here and there are helpful!
- Eat a healthy diet. What you eat has a big impact on the skin's health. Make sure to eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-dense foods to help support the gut microbiome. The gut microbiome affects every single part of your health and wellbeing and also plays an important role in supporting the skin's microbiome. The skin has its very own microbiome which is its natural defense.
By taking preventive measures from a young age, you can avoid problems and maintain your skin's health and beauty for years to come. So, if you haven't already, start taking care of your skin proactively today!